Monday 3 June 2013

War & Conquest 2000 pt Caesarian Roman Army

I have signed up for the War & Conquest tournament at Attack held at Devizes between the 20th and 21st of July http://www.ddwg.org.uk/

I started 2 years ago creating a Caesarean Roman army for War & Conquest. I sided towards this set of rules after much deliberation and trial and error. I had played Warhammer for years and was looking to do some kind of ancient historical gaming at 25-28mm. Initially I tried Fields of Glory, which, although great in 15mm I felt it lost its manoeuvrable feel in 28mm.

After much searching including Warhammer Ancient Battles I found Rob Brooms  excellent War & Conquest.

Even though it feels familiar it plays distinctly differently to Warhammer so I didn't feel as though I was playing the same game,  just using historical figures instead.

Unfortunately even after all this time I still haven't finished my 2000pt army. I last used it at one of Robs excellent games days at Iron Acton where I shamefully had to borrow some figs so that I didn't have to play with any unpainted models!!!

So here we are to date:


My List comprises of:

1 Imperator 170 pts, not painted yet

1 Legate 140 pts, he is finished but I still need to add a couple of figs and then base him.


1 Legionary Unit of 24 men 336 pts, all done.

1 Legionary Unit of 24 men plus Senior Centurion 396 pts, all done.


1 Veteran Legionary Unit of 18 men plus Senior Centurion, plus Aquilifer 498 pts, all done.
 



1 Gallic Cavalry Unit 10 men 170 pts, all done (the above shields are LBMS transfers but I painted the Cav shields free hand).


1 Spanish Light cavalry Unit 8 men 128 pts, 2 still based for FoG, the rest need painting.


1 Cretan archer Unit 10 men 110 pts, half done.


and 1 Spanish Skirmish Infantry Unit 10 men, mostly done, 2 need javelins and another to paint.



Still a fair bit to do, so lets see if I can surprise myself and finish it for next month!!





3 comments:

  1. Paul,

    Delighted to see you blogging at last! :o)

    This is a beautifully painted army (having seen it up close) and I look forward to catching up at Devizes next month.

    Cheers

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good painting so far, keep it up! And, be sure to give us some reports on War & Conquest. I just got it, and seems to have much potential!

    ReplyDelete